Cannabidiol (CBD) is an active ingredient of the cannabis plant which has only a weak psychoactive effect, can act as a psychoactive “counterpoint” to THC and even displays extremely interesting therapeutic effects. The precise mechanisms of action are currently the subject of scientific studies. It is assumed that CBD in the body has an impact on the body’s own cells via many different receptor-mediated and also receptor-independent mechanisms. Among the effects of cannabidiol is first and foremost its tumour-inhibiting effect. Animal experiments have shown that CBD in high doses in the body’s own cells, especially in tumour cells, induced “internal cell suicide” (apoptosis) and prevented the vascularisation of tumours in the course of metastasis. The American National Cancer Institute has already classified cannabidiol as a remedy in cancer therapy; promising clinical studies are underway.
The therapeutic effect of natural cannabidiol (CBD).
There exist comprehensive experiential reports, but as yet only few clinical studies. The present findings result from tests on cells, animal experiments or individual case descriptions.
- CBD has a relaxing effect. For the cannabis medication Sativex, which contains CBD and THC, this has been proven and used for the indication of spasticity in the case of Multiple Sclerosis.
- CBD could help in the case of other movement disorders, of the kind that appear in a symptom of Parkinson’s.
- Cannabidiol demonstrates a nerve-protecting effect, improves motor coordination and displays an anti-epileptic effect, especially in the area of child epilepsy (e.g. Dravet syndrome, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome etc.).
- In addition to the actual epileptic diseases, CBD can help in the case of epileptic symptoms of other illnesses, such as Angelman syndrome.
- The anti-inflammatory effect of CBD can provide support for chronic inflammatory bowel diseases, arthritis, asthma as well as other autoimmune disorders, among others.
- Israeli scientists have discovered that broken bones heal significantly more rapidly through the treatment with CBD.
- CBD helps with nausea and possesses neuroprotective and anti-bacterial properties.
- In general, CBD works as a radical scavenger and antioxidant, the latter to an even greater extent than vitamins C and E.
- In conclusion, CBD is likely to have a positive regulating effect on the human immune system.
The anxiety-reducing, anti-psychotic effect of CBD is currently being researched in drug trials among schizophrenic patients. It is assumed that CBD also causes a reduction in the risk of diabetes. CBD could be responsible for the proven preventative effect of cannabis on diabetes.